Calvin Harris and Taylor Swift were recently snapped by paparazzi as they went out for gluten-free pizza in New York, while Jay Z and Beyonce are said to try to find time in their schedules for a pizza date together every Sunday night.
To live the lifestyle of the rich and famous, find a great pizzeria near you for your next date. Cheap, delicious and the perfect match with a frosty lager, pizza is ideal date-night food – just make sure you don’t end up with mozzarella on your chin.
Here’s our pick of six of the nation’s best pizzerias:
- Il Buco, Auckland. Thin, crispy, super-fresh pizza sold al taglio (by the slice). Il Buco’s unbeatable vegan pizzas are proof that a great pizza doesn’t have to be smothered in a cheese mountain. Try the Ortolana (potato, zucchini, onion and capsicum).
- BASE Woodfired Pizza Restaurant, Christchurch. From adversity, comes…really good pizza. The Thomson family started cooking pizzas on a woodfired oven for neighbours during the power cuts that followed the Canterbury quakes, and then realised they had the makings of a great business idea. Outstanding toppings include Moroccan lamb (tomato sauce, marinated lamb, red onion, roast capsicum, sun-dried tomatoes, rocket, mango chutney and yoghurt raita).
- Dough Bros, Hamilton. Woodfired sourdough pizza with gourmet toppings. It’s hard to choose just one, but if forced we’d go for the Horopito Prawns (prawns, leeks, fresh goat’s curd, garlic cream, mozzarella, lemon).
- Pizza Pomodoro, Wellington. Mama Mia! Bellissimo pizza made on a woodfired oven fuelled with Kiwi manuka chips. Chef Massimo Tolve is from Naples, and it shows. Try the Mougy (tomato sauce, mozzarella, spinach, olives, blue cheese and garlic oil).
- Pizzeria Dante’s Napoletana, Auckland. Dante’s says it is the first New Zealand pizzeria to become a member of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana, which means it meets the standards required to sell a tightly regulated form of Neapolitan pizza. You can’t go wrong with the simple but delicious Con Prosciutto (tomato, mozzarella, prosciutto, rocket and parmesan).
- Pizzeria Napoli, Wellington. Pizzeria Napoli uses traditional dough preparation methods, and you can watch your pizza being hand-stretched before being baked in an Italian woodfired oven. A favourite is the Quattro Stagioni (tomato sauce, mozzarella, manuka-smoked ham, capsicum, portobello mushrooms, artichokes and basil).
What does your favourite pizza reveal about your personality? A British study looked into what your pizza choice says about you, and which other pizza lovers you might be romantically compatible with.