As well as being a great night for the undead, Halloween is an awesome opportunity for couples. If you and your date love being scared together, try one of these hauntingly romantic date ideas.
- Freak each other with a ghost tour. Despite New Zealand’s relatively young history, it has more than its fair share of reported spectral sightings. Top locations include Auckland’s Civic Theatre, said to be haunted by a man who committed suicide after being spurned by his chorus girl lover; Wellington’s Inverlochy House, regarded by many as a hotspot of paranormal activity; and Larnach Castle in Dunedin, where the ghost of Kate Larnach is said to drift through the ballroom.
- Get spooked with a horror movie. Take a laptop to a potentially creepy location – an isolated beach, an empty playground or, if you’re feeling particularly brave, a cemetery – and watch a scary movie. Try Carrie (deranged teen unleashes her revenge at the school prom), 28 Days Later (zombies run amok – or, more accurately, stagger slowly but determinedly amok) or Fright Night (teenager suspects his unnaturally good-looking neighbour is a vampire. Actually, he’s Colin Farrell). If you’re more into comedy-horror, try Shaun of the Dead, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, or Peter Jackson’s brilliant Braindead.
- Party hard. If you’re in the mood to party, many pubs, clubs and other venues around New Zealand are organising Halloween events ranging from parties to comedy gigs to burlesque shows. Other organised events include a tour of Napier Prison – New Zealand’s oldest prison, and said to be one of the most haunted.
- Halloweenify your pictures. Wonder what your date would look like with fangs, open sores or eyes of the undead? Find out with a photo editing app like PicMonkey, Insert-a-Zombie, Halloween Friends, HauntedBooth or Ghost Capture. Once you’ve converted each other into evil fiends, spook-up photos of your friends and family.
- Settle in for a Treehouse of Horror marathon. If you’ve never watched The Simpsons’ Halloween specials, you’re in for a treat. Plot highlights of the Treehouse of Horror episodes have included dolphins taking over the world, Ned Flanders as a werewolf, a plague of doughnuts, and Homer accidentally altering the fabric of time while trying to mend a toaster. What to drink during your Simpsons marathon? Obviously, a Zombie.
If you need some extra tips on how to attract a date for Halloween, watch our Dating 101 guide with Viago the Vampire (aka Taika Waititi) :