- Combine all coconut rice ingredients with a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, stir and cover with a tightfitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
- Pat pork dry with paper towels and slice into 1cm strips. Season with a pinch of salt and combine with lemongrass paste in a small bowl. Leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables; trim woody ends from asparagus and cut into 3cm pieces; finely shred cabbage until you have about 2 cups’ worth.
- When rice is steaming, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan or wok on high heat. Stir-fry pork for 2–3 minutes until browned and just cooked through. Remove from pan/wok and wrap in foil to rest. Wipe out pan/wok and return to heat.
- Add a drizzle of oil to pan/wok. Stir-fry asparagus and cabbage for 2–3 minutes until bright green and tender. Turn off heat, then toss greens with a small drizzle of sesame oil and soy sauce.
TO SERVE, place ¾ cup cooked coconut rice onto a plate with lemongrass pork and greens. Garnish with coriander.
½ cup jasmine rice
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup water
150g pork sirloin steak
30g lemongrass paste (at room temperature)
2 spears asparagus
¼ savoy cabbage
Drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce
1 tablespoon coriander leaves, to serve
Recipe by kiwi chef, Nadia Lim
This article is brought to you by FindSomeone’s Bootcamp for Better Dating – a free week by week programme written by relationship expert John Aiken and delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to findsomeone.co.nz any time between January and April of 2016 to get started!